Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 54: An Interview with Miss Maricopa County!

Day 54 Vitals:

Weight:  271 lbs.
Mood:  Exhausted
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast: Eggs
Lunch: Chicken Wing, and Cheese Slices (Gouda)
Dinner: Potato, Chicken Wing, Corn
Hangry Thought of the Day: I can't complain today, I got to have a conversation with Miss Maricopa County.

I choose the name Table for One mostly because I thought I would be alone in this journey.  But thanks to Social Media and #snapchallenge, I have run into a GREAT community of people who are also taking on projects similar to this one.  During one of my searches on Twitter I came across a young woman from Arizona who was about to start her own Snap Challenge to raise awareness about Childhood Hunger.  Her name is Juanita Rogers.  Juanita currently has to the crown of Miss Maricopa County, and will soon be competing for the title of Miss Arizona!  We started emailing back and forth and she agreed to answer a few questions about herself, childhood food insecurities, and her own Snap Challenge.  So without further ado, here is Miss Maricopa County:

Photo Courtesy of:  Cacie Carroll Photograph

So tell us a little about you personally?  Where did you come from and what influenced you in your youth?

I am a proud Arizona native! I was born in Phoenix, the state capitol and our incredibly populated metropolitan area. I was raised in Phoenix, but I’ve lived all over the state. The scenery here is so beautiful to me, so I really enjoy time hiking and running, and exploring more of the state with family and friends!
When I think about what has influenced me throughout my youth, I see it as a collective impact from my endeavors. Call it a blessing, call it serendipitous luck, but I have been very fortunate – despite the challenges I’ve faced – with various opportunities that have allowed me to explore my aspirations. One of the best examples of this the chance I had to become a first-generation college student. So many doors opened throughout my time as a student at the University of Arizona (Beardown!).



Tell us about becoming Miss Maricopa County?  What was the process like and what influenced you to pursue that goal?

Becoming Miss Maricopa County was a process that involved a great deal of dedication. The first part of the process involved completing a large amount of paperwork, which included getting several forms notarized and completing a platform statement, which – for me – involved describing the impact of childhood hunger, and why I am choosing to focus my service to the community on that particular issue. After weeks of preparing, it was time for the actual pageant day! The day includes a 10-minute panel interview, talent performance on stage, lifestyle and fitness/swimsuit on stage, evening gown, and an on-stage question chosen at random. After the judges have completed giving scores for each contestant, scores are calculated and the new titleholder winners are announced! Believe it or not, that was the short description of the process!

I became interested in the Miss America Organization because of the Four Points of the Crown, which are Scholarship, Service, Success, and Style. The Miss America Organization strives to have title holders that are young women, academic scholars, and community leaders. The organization fit perfectly into the standards that I hold myself to.

So what is next for your after becoming Miss Maricopa County?

As of right now, I am continuing to serve my community in the effort to end child hunger, while preparing for the Miss Arizona Scholarship Pageant. This will be held at Mesa Arts Center, June 23rd – 25th, in Mesa, Arizona. The winner of Miss Arizona will then go on to compete amongst 51 other accomplished ladies in September 2016 for the title of Miss America, and up to $50,000 in scholarship money. In addition, Miss America promotes her personal platform and serves as a goodwill ambassador to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals throughout her year. It’s a full-time job, but absolutely worthwhile!



Childhood hunger seems to play a big part in your social media message?  How have you been influenced personally?

Hunger has absolutely impacted me, which has influenced my desire to study public and community health. I was raised in a single-parent household, so there was only one income for my family. At the time I didn’t realize that what we were actually experiencing was food insecurity. Even in college, there were times when I relied on the campus food pantry in order to make sure that I had enough food, especially healthy options. Though hunger is a general term for an issue that has roots that run deep, I am committed to ensuring that vulnerable populations – such as children – do not have to experience it.



What are your favorite causes to support?

There are so many! Some of my favorite causes are child hunger and health, education, poverty and homelessness. As I further progress into my Masters of Public Health degree, I see that these are the areas that impact quality of life and health levels. I honestly believe that if we, as a nation, can provide stability in these areas, we can strengthen our economy and the people in it.

Now you are undergoing you second SNAP Challenge.  Can you tell us a little bit about your experience in the first one you did?

My first SNAP Challenge was extremely eye-opening for a few reasons. I should start by explaining that I was a public health major at the University of Arizona at the time of the challenge, and my passion for being an advocate and bringing about positive, community-wide change was undeniable. When one of my professors mentioned the challenge, I thought that I would have an easy enough time, especially with it only being four days. To my surprise, I had a hard time! I was working, going to classes, staying up late studying, and doing my best to stay focused and energized throughout the day. Overall, the experience humbled me. Service to others is my passion, and as I work towards achieving academic and career goals, I don’t want to forget why I first set out to achieve those goals.

So what are your tips and strategies as you look into going into your second one?  What is the most difficult thing that you are expecting on your second time around?

I predict that my second time around with the SNAP Challenge will be a little difficult. Since I am preparing for a pageant, I am also wanting to eat foods that are healthy! My personal challenge will be to make sure that I am eating enough throughout the day so that I have the energy to exercise as well as complete my other daily tasks.

What foods do you miss the most when you do your SNAP Challenge?

So many! Since I’m also staying healthy and lean in preparation for Miss Arizona, I have been missing quite a few food items lately (laughing)! One thing that I miss most is being able to spend time with my mom, eating her homemade cooking! She’s an amazing cook, bar none!



How long are you doing your SNAP Challenge, and where are you going to buy your food?
                                                                                                                                              
My SNAP Challenge will be 7 days. Slowly but surely I’ll work my way up to more days! As far as buying food, I’ll need to purchase from a store that offers healthy and fresh options at a low price. As many people know, this is the catch-22 that impacts the 45 million of Americans that rely on SNAP. At this point, I believe that my local grocer as well as farmer’s markets will allow me to stay within budget. Fingers crossed!

How has the community supported you on you SNAP Challenge?

The community has been great, and support has come in numerous forms! I have been tagged in recipes, seen how others are approaching the challenge, and even met some great advocates, such as yourself! I will be doing the SNAP Challenge again, and I look forward to making connections with other participants, and having a nation-wide challenge!

How can we support your efforts, and follow along with your campaign against childhood hunger?

The best way is to follow my social media accounts, which I have listed below. Leave comments and say hello! As my platform title says, it takes a village, so I would love to see and support the community actions of other proponents for change.


Good luck with the Miss Arizona competition and upcoming SNAP Challenge Juanita, and thanks for taking the time to chat with us.  And readers, don't forget to click on those links above.  She has a great cause to help support!

Don't forget, if you like this blog please help us in trying to end Childhood Hunger here in the Twin Cities.  Click the link the FINNEGANS logo in the right hand panel, and donate what you can.  Every dollar helps to reach our goal of $2,500 for this GREAT cause where 98% of your dollar will go back to the community!  Thanks for you help!

You can find us on the web at the following places:

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/TableForOneMN?lang=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment