Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 66: Black Bean Chilaquile

Day 66 Vitals:

Weight:  271 lbs.
Mood:  Exhausted
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast: Eggs and Beans
Lunch: Mixed veggies, pork chop, 2 oranges
Dinner: Bean Chilaquile
Hangry Thought of the Day: I hate computer data filters!

Before we begin I just want to post a little announcement.  We are a little behind on donations.  So if you like this blog please click the FINNEGANS logo in the side bar and donate.  Every $5 helps to stamp out Childhood Food Insecurity right here in the Twin Cities!

So today's recipe comes from Tracy over at Urban Oasis.  Now if you are not familiar with Urban Oasis, then hang in there as we have an upcoming interview with Tracy from this amazing organization!  It is a Black Bean Chilaquile:



Ingredients:  

  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 table spoons of olive oil (I used vegetable oil, because that is what I had in my pantry)
  • 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups of frozen corn
  • 1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans (I used navy beans because I had those in my pantry already)
  • 2 tablespoons of lime juice (I doubled this for more lime punch!)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of greens like kale or chard.  (I used chard)
  • 2 cups of crushed tortilla chips
  • 8 oz of shredded cheese
  • 2 cups of salsa
Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350.
In a large skillet, heat oil and onions over medium heat until onions are translucent.



Stir in tomatoes, corn, beans, lime juice, and salt and pepper and cook for about 15 more minutes.  I also tossed in my chard stems in this part to add some more color and crunch to the dish.


In a large 8x10 or larger baking dish layer half the crushed tortilla chips.




Add the cooked veggie mixture and sprinkle on 2/3rds of the shredded cheese.
Arrange the greens over the veggie mixture, and spoon on half the salsa.



Top with the remaining chips, salsa and cheese.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

This was an AWESOME recipe, and very filling.  I didn't even know I was eating a meatless dish.  Switch out the cheese for a vegan cheese and this is easily converted to a vegan dish!  It also made plenty.  I family of four can eat this for two days, especially if served with a slice of bread or two.  I also prepped this a day ahead of time and just baked it off after coming home from work.  Sure, my chips might have been a little soggier, but you know convenience is key in a household with key!  Also add a little Sriracha for more punch!

Thank you Tracy for the recipe, and we look forward to hearing from you later this week!

Don't forget, if you like this blog please help us in trying to end Childhood Hunger here in the Twin Cities.  Click the link the FINNEGANS logo in the right hand panel, and donate what you can.  Every dollar helps to reach our goal of $2,500 for this GREAT cause where 98% of your dollar will go back to the community!  Thanks for you help!

You can find us on the web at the following places:

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/TableForOneMN?lang=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment