Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Day 10: Cauliflower Cheese Bake

Day 10 Vitals:

Weight:  270 lbs.
Mood:  Everything is Okay!
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast:  Oatmeal with Cinnamon
Lunch:  Hobo Soup
Dinner: Tacos
Hangry Thought of the Day: Darned email security systems, blocking my perfectly good macro enabled workbooks!

Just a quick word on dinner.  A friend of mine decided to exercise rule four last night for my dinner.  He made tacos for the family and I did indulge in a couple, but I kept it to a minimum to stay within the rules of the project. 

So today we are going to talk about the third recipe I made during week 1, and by far my favorite.  Cauliflower Cheese Bake from the book Good and Cheap.


Ingredients:


  • 2 tbs. Salt
  • 1 head of cauliflower, cut to bite sized pieces
  • 1 tbs. butter,
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp of chili flakes
  • 1 bay leaf (skipped)
  • 1 tbs. flower
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 6oz. of Cheddar, shredded
  • Pepper to taste
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400
  2. Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add the cauliflower and salt.  Boil for 4 minutes.  The drain the cauliflower.
  3. Oil Baking Dish, and put the cauliflower in it.
  4. Melt butter in a sauce pan, add garlic, chili flakes, and bay leaf.  Cook for about 1 minutes
  5. Add flour to thicken the mixture (called roux)
  6. Slowly stir in milk slowly.  Bring the mixture just to a soft boil, usually 5 to 7 minutes.
  7. Stir in cheese and stir until it all melts.
  8. Remove bay leaf and pour over cauliflower
  9. Bake for 40 minutes



This dish lasted my four meals, and was my main course in a couple.  I really like this dish, and I can see myself cooking it, even when I am not on the project.  It's also a GREAT way to get your kids to eat vegetables.  The book offers some additions that you can add to spice this up, so go take a peak at the above link if you are interested.

Also I got a couple more donations through work:

The pumpkin spice chips chips have me thinking.  If I can squeeze in some vanilla into my budget this week, I can bake cookies from my pantry and use them to raise awareness at work!





No comments:

Post a Comment