Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Day 3: Jalapeno Cheddar Scones

Day 3 Vitals:

Weight:  274 lbs.
Mood:  Enthusiastic
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast:  Plain Oatmeal
Lunch:  Cheddar Bacon Scone, Celery w/ Peanut Butter, Dal
Dinner:  2 hot dogs, potato, and Dal
Hangry Thought of the Day:  I had my first craving today.  I was fetching a soda for my friend who stopped over.  I really wanted something sugary at that time.

Quick announcement:  I have been getting some complaints that the pictures are broken and not loading.  If you are not seeing pictures in this post, can you please leave us a comment!  Thank you!

Before we go into today's recipe, we need to talk about this book:  Good and Cheap by Leanne Brown.  It is a free book that anyone can access, and it will teach you how to eat well on just $4 a day.  This book is my go-to and life line on this project.  I went the extra mile and bought the paid version for even more recipes.  So grab a copy of this book, even if you are not on SNAP.  I have cooked about eight items out of this book, and I have not been disappointed yet!




So this is where my inspiration came to make Whole Wheat Cheddar Jalapeno Scones (found on page 30 of the full version of Good and Cheap).  Here is the recipe:




  • 1 Stick of Butter
  • 2 1/2 Cups of Whole Wheat Flower
  • 1 Table Spoon of Baking Soda
  • 1 Teaspoon of Salt (I subbed Sriracha Salt) 
  • 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Diced)
  • 4 oz. Cheddar
  • 2 Eggs lightly beaten
  • 1/2 Cup of Milk
  • 1 Egg slightly beaten for the egg wash
  1. Place butter in the freezer for 30 min
  2. Preheat oven to 400 F.  Grease a baking sheet, or use parchment paper.
  3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  4. Using a cheese greater shred the butter into the flour mixture.  Then squish the butter in until the dough is incorporated, but not smooth.
  5. Add remaining ingredients (except for the egg for the egg wash).
  6. The book recommends making a loaf and cutting it into six wedges.  As you can see I just made 6 - 8 balls.
  7. Brush the eggs wash over the scones to give them a nice shiny look to them.
  8. Bake for 25 minutes.

Felix helps me apply the egg wash to my scones
So now I have 8 scones for my meals!  Thanks for reading.  Please leave a comment below!  Also don't forget, if you haven't donated yet, please click the Finnegan's link on the right!

No comments:

Post a Comment