Saturday, April 16, 2016

Day 6: Whole Foods Week!

Day 6 Vitals:

Weight:  274 lbs.
Mood:  It's shopping day!
Water Consumed:  3 Nalgenes
Breakfast:  Scrambled eggs with onions
Lunch:  Jalapeno/Cheddar Scone, Dal
Dinner: Potato, Dal
Hangry Thought of the Day:  It's getting hot outside!

So we are rounding out the end of the week.  I's time to head to our next grocery store.  This week it is at Whole Foods.  This was not as challenging as I thought it would be.  I am going into this week with a sack of potatoes, a package of hot dogs, and a couple boxes of pasta.  This opened up my shopping list to get some much needed staples I was missing from week 1.  Mainly salt, pepper, and cooking oil.  So here is my Whole Foods Grab for the week:



My goal for this week is to get out for a little grilling, make a potato soup, and pasta and eggs to round things off.  Here are my Whole Food Wins.

  • Sea Salt for $2.69.  I didn't find any salt in our pantry during the pantry priming.  I didn't think I would miss it, but when you are cooking raw its a necessity.  This whole canister will make sure my food is nice and seasoned for the remainder of the project.
  • Ground Turkey for $4.99/lb. If you don't think you can afford meat proteins at Whole Foods, you would be wrong.  Catch the right weeks and they have some excellent deals, and I got a good one with this.  This pound is headed for the grill on Sunday. 
  • I snagged two ears of corn for $1.  Those are destined for the grill Sunday.


Overall you are not going to get the quantity you would get elsewhere, but if you are on a SNAP program, and have special dietary needs like you are vegan, it is NOT impossible.  A couple of tweaks to my list and I could have picked up some beans, lentils, and/or tortillas, and really got some great meals for the week..  Whole Foods has long had a history of being expensive, even earning the moniker of Whole Paycheck.  But in recent years the company has done a bang up job to change that perception.  Now YES, you are going to pay a little more, but you are getting more local options, and much better tasting meat and produce.  So give Whole Foods a try, you won't be disappointed.  My only regret is that I didn't have enough in my budget for their private label flavored spring water, that stuff is the bomb!

In other news, I picked up a couple of power bars from work from work.




No comments:

Post a Comment