Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Day 25: Beef Stroganoff

Day 25 Vitals:

Weight:  270 lbs.
Mood:  So So
Water Consumed:  1 Nalgenes
Breakfast: Scrambled Egg with Onion
Lunch:  Hot Dog Bun with Pasta Sauce and Mixed Vegetables
Dinner: Chicken Wing, Steamed Broccoli, Hot Dogs Bun with Pasta Sauce
Hangry Thought of the Day:  Did anyone else see Cruz's rant on Twitter?  Someone get that guy a Snickers, because HE is Hangry!

So for today's article I want to talk about one of the best recipes I have cooked in the three weeks I have been on this project:  Beef Stroganoff.  And once again Good and Cheap by Leanne Brown is supplying the recipe!


Now beef stroganoff and I have a long history, and it is perhaps my favorite food.  My Dad used to cook his stroganoff for me on my birthday and other special occasions.  His was much different then the recipe below (he used ground beef, which in hind site, I probably should have done too).  And the sauce for the below recipe is more "homemade".  I loved his stroganoff.  In fact I know when he finally gave me the recipe on his death bed that the end had truly caught up with him.  He had a couple of close calls before, but not stroganoff worthy I guess.   I have tried to make it several times, but it often doesn't taste the same.  Maybe I will adopt this one as "mine"!

On to the recipe:

Ingredients:


  • 1lb. of Beef cut up into chunks
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 2 tbsp Butter
  • 2 Onions Chopped
  • 2 Large Carrots sliced or chopped
  • 1 tbsp Flour
  • 2 tsp of Paprika
  • 1lb of Egg Noodles or Pasta cooked to direction
  • 3 Cloves of Chopped Garlic
  • 1lb of Mushrooms (I used 8 oz)
  • 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
  • 3 tbsp Mustard
Directions:

Season beef with salt and pepper.  Melt half the butter in a pan on medium high heat.  Toss in beef and brown on all sides.  Add the carrots and onions and cook until the onions are translucent.



Sprinkle flour and paprika, then cover mixture in four cups of water and let simmer for two hours, or until there is about one cup of liquid broth left.

Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a pot.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Toss in mushrooms and cook for about five minutes.  Take beef mixute, mushroom mixture, mustard, sour cream and mix in a bowl.



Serve over noddles.  You can also add a little dill is that is your thing!  The yield on this recipe is pretty sizable too.  It can easily feed a family of four.  I got three meals out it, and I wish I had more!

That's all for today!  Let me know your thoughts on this recipe, as well as any changes or additions you might have.  Thanks for reading!

Don't forget, if you like this blog please help us in trying to end Childhood Hunger here in the Twin Cities.  Click the link the FINNEGANS logo in the right hand panel, and donate what you can.  Every dollar helps to reach our goal of $2,500 for this GREAT cause where 98% of your dollar will go back to the community!  Thanks for you help!

You can find us on the web at the following places:


Please help spread the word of this project!

No comments:

Post a Comment