Monday, May 16, 2016

Day 36: My $30 Budget At Trader Joe's

Day 36 Vitals:

Weight:  269 lbs.
Mood:  Exhausted
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast:Granola Bars
Lunch: Orange, Peanut Butter Sandwich
Dinner: Tomaote Soup and Toast
Hangry Thought of the Day: Just go the f%#@ to sleep kid!

Hey gang and welcome back.  Sorry for the long absence but I was up at the cabin again this week, with no internet.

So for today's articles I would like to talk about my trip to Trader Joe's.  



We are still good on proteins thanks to our Week 3 trip to COSTCO.  So for another week I get to go veggie heavy.  I also picked up ingredients to make some chocolate zucchini muffins.  I also got a couple of treats for the cabin, namely the bacon ends and the sparkling water.  So let's talk about the big wins for Trader Joe's!

  • 2lb Bag of Sweet Potatoes $1.69:  I had the option of potatoes or sweet potatoes.  I went with the sweet potatoes just for a change up.
  • 4 bags of frozen brussel sproutes $.99 ea.  Trader Joe's offers up a lot of great selections for frozen veggies and fruits.  I found these ones on sale and can't wait to stir-fry or grill these up!
  • 2lb Gala Apples for $2.99.  While not the cheapest I have bought apples, I could still fit this into by budget, and they had a much better flavor then most of the other apples I have eaten in the past weeks.
  • Small jar of Peanut Butter $1.99:  TJ's is known for pretty great peanut butter, this will make for some great convenience lunches.
  • 1 dozen eggs $.99:  I didn't NEED eggs this week, but I picked them up because they are about $.29 cheaper then most other places.
Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi's.  Its pricing and business model show.  There are a lot of great deals to be had.  I had a BLAST shopping at Trader Joe's.  Not only did I get a lot of food, but I also got a lot of veggies for my dollar, and even a few treats.  It is hard to go wrong in a place like this.  It will be very interesting to to compare my experience with Aldi's next week.

With this weeks purchases I am hoping to make some of the a fore mentioned  muffins, another batch of scones, and stir-fried veggies.  Yum!



Don't forget, if you like this blog please help us in trying to end Childhood Hunger here in the Twin Cities.  Click the link the FINNEGANS logo in the right hand panel, and donate what you can.  Every dollar helps to reach our goal of $2,500 for this GREAT cause where 98% of your dollar will go back to the community!  Thanks for you help!

You can find us on the web at the following places:


No comments:

Post a Comment