Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Day 37: Odds and Ends

Day 37 Vitals:

Weight:  270 lbs.
Mood:  Exhausted
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast: 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
Lunch: Tomato Soup and Toast
Dinner: Tomato and Sweet Potatoes
Hangry Thought of the Day: Do not EVER nominate me for your Facebook Challenges!

We are now rapidly approaching the half-way point of Project Table for One.  So far so good.  I went looking through my pantry the other day and I actually have quite a bit of odds and ends that I should find some use for.  Here are some of the items I have in abundance:

  • 1/2 bag of Flour (Week 1 Cub Foods)
    • Possible Uses:  I would like to take another stab at baking bread.  But right now I tortillas, bread, and am making scones this week.  So I will take this venture on in the near future
  • 1 full bag of black eyed beans (Week 0 Pantry Stocking)
    • I have a recipe for these, but the last bunch of stores I have been at did not have ham hocks.  I will keep trying!
  • Soy Sauce (Week 3 Wal-Mart)
    • I picked this up as a flavoring agent based on the advice of the book Good and Cheap.  but I am trying to be mindful of my salt intake, so I have been avoiding it's use.  It's not that this is a BAD thing to pick up, I just don't need it.
  • 1 LARGE pack of Hot Dogs (Week 4 COSTCO)
    • I picked these up for cabin weekends.  So I will get to these shortly.  I think I just burned myself out on hot dogs the first few weeks.
  • Baking Powder (Week 1 Cub Foods), Vanilla (Week 3 Wal-Mart), Brown Sugar (Week 0 Pantry)
  • And lastly I have some odds and ends from Week 0 Pantry Stocking like a jar of Vindaloo sauce, some canned beans, a can of spicy corned beer.  Lots of fun stuff still out there.  
So what would you cook with these odds and ends?  Leave a comment below!

Don't forget, if you like this blog please help us in trying to end Childhood Hunger here in the Twin Cities.  Click the link the FINNEGANS logo in the right hand panel, and donate what you can.  Every dollar helps to reach our goal of $2,500 for this GREAT cause where 98% of your dollar will go back to the community!  Thanks for you help!

You can find us on the web at the following places:

1 comment:

  1. Hey Will--Way to go with your inspiring project!
    This is Tracy Sides from Urban Oasis -- we are a nonprofit on the East Side of Saint Paul that uses the power of food to increase health, prosperity, and equity in our community. One of the ways we do this is through empowering low-income, food insecure members of our community with skills to make healthy, affordable, convenient meals at home -- Healthy Meals in a SNAP! Your black-eyed peas might substitute nicely in one of my favorite recipes we make -- a version of Chilaquiles. I can't figure how to post the recipe here, so I'll post it to your Facebook page. Good luck with the experiment and thanks for sharing with others! PS - Love FINNEGAN'S :)
    PPS - See www.urbanoasismn.org for more info about Urban Oasis

    ReplyDelete