Monday, May 23, 2016

Day 43: My $30 At Aldi's

Day 43 Vitals:

Weight:  270 lbs.
Mood:  Exhausted
Water Consumed:  2 Nalgenes
Breakfast: Chocolate Zuccini Muffin
Lunch: Apple, Burger, Sweet Potato
Dinner: Sweet Potato, Brat
Hangry Thought of the Day: Can someone explain to me the difference between Vacation Time and Personal Time?


All right, we made it to week 7, almost half-way through the project.  This week brings us to Aldi's. This week was guided by two major factors.  I have another big cabin Weekend coming up in the near future.  So my focus was on some items I could grill up, restocking my frozen veggies, and I picked up some rice to make rice pudding.

So here are some of my big wins:


  • Steamable Bags of Asparagus ($2.29 ea.):  Yeah, this was a little spendy for a bag of frozen asparagus that yields one or two servings, but they were SO tasty, and perfect to steam in the microwave, or grill on the grill.
  • Blackberries (.99):  Maybe I should have picked up a second one of these, but I am always weary of berries going bad, especially when they are so budget friendly.  They are going in my breakfast tomorrow, so far they have held up.
  • Sparkling Water (2.99 12pk):  Yeah, I have been graving this for a LONG time, and this was my treat for the week.  I hope I still get treats once my chicken wings run out!
  • Froen mixed veggies (.99 ea):  These have been my go to for veggies on this project.  Very affordable, and you don't have to worry about spoilage.  While these are a little heavy on the cauliflower, you can't beat the price!
Overall, shopping Aldi's should be a GREAT experience for the budget minded.  They have a great selection of organics, there produce is not so shabby, and the meat department had several fresh looking options.  Everything seems to be about 25% cheaper then their name brand counterparts found at more traditional grocery stores. Also Aldi's brings in a lot of products from their home country in Germany.  So you will find some highend mustards and chocolates and bargain basement prices.  Milk was by far the cheapest I have seen (beating COSTCO by .10, and eggs where on the cheap end as well.



(Yes, I know I went a little over on this receipt, but I returned some of the yogurt to get me back within budget, hence the markings)

Don't forget, if you like this blog please help us in trying to end Childhood Hunger here in the Twin Cities.  Click the link the FINNEGANS logo in the right hand panel, and donate what you can.  Every dollar helps to reach our goal of $2,500 for this GREAT cause where 98% of your dollar will go back to the community!  Thanks for you help!

You can find us on the web at the following places:



No comments:

Post a Comment